The districts include Atlanta, Birmingham, Brownsville (TX), Buffalo, Caddo Parish (LA), Charleston (SC), Desoto County (MS), Harrison County (CO), Jefferson Parish (LA), Louisiana Recovery School District, Minneapolis, New Haven, New Orleans, Norfolk, Oakland, Oklahoma City, Richmond, Rochester, Sacramento, Spokane, and St. Paul.
We read through teachers contracts, salary schedules, evaluation handbooks, and other documents for each of these districts and pulled out policies on everything from class size to dismissal procedures to number of teacher sick days. Here are some highlights:
- 179: Average number of days students are in school (highest is 193 days, in Louisiana Recovery School District; lowest is 172, in Minneapolis)
- $72,091: Average maximum annual salary available to teachers (highest is $103,020, in Minneapolis; lowest is $51,025, in Oklahoma City)
- 13: Number of the new districts that use seniority as the top criterion for laying off teachers
- 2: Number of the new districts that use performance as the top criterion for laying off teachers
- 12.7: Average number of sick and personal days teachers get each year (highest is 17, in Oakland, New Haven, and Buffalo; lowest is 9, in Desoto County, Mississippi)
Explore TR3 for much more data about these and all our districts.