The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) is currently seeking several Research Analysts to support its teacher preparation work. This is a perfect opportunity for someone who is detail-oriented, analytical, and interested in remote, part-time work.
NCTQ believes every child deserves effective teachers and every teacher deserves the opportunity to become effective. Based on two decades of research and policy analysis, NCTQ is marshaling its resources around two big bets on the smartest, surest path to a higher quality teacher workforce for all students: 1) improving teacher preparation, and 2) improving teacher policies and practices to support the recruitment, development, and retention of effective teachers. This position will support our work to improve teacher preparation.
We are a nonpartisan, not-for-profit research and policy organization. As an equal opportunity employer, we seek to hire staff that bring diverse perspectives and experiences.
NCTQ research analysts play a critical role in producing the Teacher Prep Review, our rating of the quality of teacher prep programs. By reviewing more than 2,600 traditional and non-traditional programs, we call public attention to what is and is not working in teacher prep. Research analysts support this work by gathering and analyzing evidence relating to:
- The design of university and alternative teacher preparation programs in the U.S;
- District data relating to the the qualifications, placement, and hiring of student teachers;
- State policies around teacher training and certification; and,
- Federal data around teacher and teacher preparation.
- Identify, gather, and categorize program design evidence from teacher preparation programs from around the country
- Evaluate that evidence based on NCTQ's analytical protocols to obtain a score
- For new analyses or modifications to existing ones, conduct exploratory analytical work with staff to develop or modify protocols
- Identify and help to rectify protocol weaknesses or gaps
- Keep staff up-to-date on progress, issues, and obstacles, including participating in periodic progress check-ins
The ideal candidate:
- Shares NCTQ's passion for improving education in the U.S., particularly for disadvantaged students;
- Has a Bachelor's degree and strong academic credentials;
- Is highly organized, persistent, and detail-oriented;
- Maintains the highest level of integrity and accuracy in all work;
- Has familiarity with Word, Excel, and conducting research online;
- Has regular access to a computer with high-speed internet;
- Preferably resides in the DC/MD/VA area (other locations considered); and,
- Can commit to 20 hours per week through the fall of 2019.
Pay begins at $20 per hour.
Interested applicants should email their resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, "Teacher Preparation Analyst." No phone calls, please. You can expect to hear shortly after you contact us to indicate whether we would like you to take the first of two assessments that will allow us to evaluate your fit for the work. (Both assessments can be taken remotely.)
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
The National Council on Teacher Quality is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NCTQ does not discriminate in its hiring and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.