We pulled a custom report from our TR3 database of 111 districts and found:
- 19 states have a high school class size restriction policy.
- Of 55 districts that had a high school class size limit policy articulated in either its contract or state law, the average limit was 31 students.
- Of the 86 districts that had an elementary* class size limit policy articulated in either its contract or state law, the average limit was 25 students.
- 68 districts had both an elementary* and high school class size limit.
- 4 states limit the total number of students a teacher may have:
New Mexico: 150
Vermont: 150 (100 for English teachers)
*NCTQ used 3rd grade to represent elementary policies as these vary grade by grade for Pre-K through 8th grade