Since we're already tracking stories in this area -- and we haven't yet noticed anyone else sending out clips on the subject -- we thought we'd post the most interesting of the week's stories on teacher preparation. Look for them each Friday.
Hope you enjoy them, and let us know if we've missed any.
- Final Thought: Supplement Not Supplant? Eduwonk, July 27
Mike Goldstein's final post on Eduwonk describes how student teaching can be used to help student learning and build teacher candidate skill.
- To Earn Classroom Certification, More Teaching and Less Testing, NY Times, July 29
NY and up to 25 other states are moving toward changing the way they grant licenses to teachers, de-emphasizing bubble tests and essays in favor of the Teacher Performance Assessment.
- Branstad will push teacher preparation Sioux City Journal, July 31
Iowa's Governor Branstad wants to make teacher preparation more like medical training.
- Why teachers are under the microscope Fordham Institute, August 1
Aaron Churchill looks at the GRE scores of people planning to go to grad school in education and doesn't like what he sees.
- AAE Signs on to College of Education Reform Coalition Association of American Educators, August 2
National teacher organization joins the list of those endorsing our review of teacher prep.